Tuesday, December 17, 2013

How Things Have Changed! Broncos Root For Ravens To Keep Home Field

Those of us who have bled orange and blue for a long time are finally over that Jaguar loss years ago.  Two Superbowl's and a lot of years on top of that and you can reflect back without pain.

Hell, that's not even true.  That Jacksonville Jaguar scab was still a little raw, until the Torrey Smith touchdown caused John Fox's chin to touch down to his belly.  The Raven's stabbed us so deep that I can hardly feel the pain anymore of being jacked by the Jag's.

But oh how things change.

I never truly expected the Broncos to sweep the AFC West because its something we've rarely done.  Losing to Philip Rivers, even at home, had to be expected.  I gave up on that game early choosing to hit golf balls in the snow and listen on the radio instead of thinking we could beat Rivers last Thursday night.

The game I did not miss was the first in a two game series that I have marked for a long time.  I have a friend who is both a Bronco hater and a Patriot lover (funny how that combo exist so much out there).  He has been the beneficiary of a lot of luck lately and the schedule told me that Baltimore would stop it. (Patriots play in Baltimore next week).  I had a hunch that Miami could also.  Actually I  gambled on both games to win some money back that I lost in the Patriot miracle at Mile High a few weeks back.

I watched that Miami game like Flipper (the dolphin?....too old school?....my bad).  Thanks to a couple of blind ref's who missed holding in the end zone, Brady ran out of luck.  As I  mourned the fact that the Broncos would not play for 10 days, I proceeded to find a game that I gave a darn about.

Monday Night Football with the Ravens .vs. the Lions quenched that thirst because I could root for somebody, anybody to beat up on those (insert expletive) Ravens.  I also calculated that they would be a lot harder to beat next week coming off of a loss.  By half time I came to realize that I was wrong.  Another Raven loss would hand their fate to someone else. Like a Muslim converting to Christianity, I shifted my allegiance late in that game even though it felt like rooting for the Raiders.

The Raven's hit 6 field goals including a 61 yarder to win the game, and now they have the momentum to take out New England.  If you can't hear it in my Bronco laced analysis, I am finding any reason in the world for me to win my money back (and then some) and for the Patriots to fall into a hole they can't dig out of and to shut that hater up.  We have overcome a lot of obstacles this season so I am hardly scared of much.

Brady at home in the playoffs is scary for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment