Tuesday, November 7, 2017

Democrats Fight Gerrymandering. Is It Too Late?

Keep your eyes open for this big time push from the DGA (Democratic Governors Association) and the NDRC (National Democratic Redistricting Committee), founded and lead by former President Barack Obama and former AG Eric Holder. This issue represents a major reason I no longer register as a Democrat.
              ________________________
https://unrigthemap.com/

....this is a lot like that Colin Kaepernick issue and the NFL.

..a curse you bring on yourself.
            
            ___________________  



I won't claim to already know who started with this gerrymandering nonsense, though I could probably Google it. I feel utter disappointment, however, when I discovered how often both parties have misused it over the years. The fact that the Republicans have taken our national shame called gerrymandering to a new level of shamefulness makes me mad at the system and ALL of those who proliferated it, not just the current beneficiaries and better players of the game.


I actually started registering independent when Al Gore helped us to discover the electoral college hustle that can override wilful votes and lawful recounts if it so chooses.


Upon backing a non-inspiring guy like Gore against George W. Bush, I found myself indignant and more inspired to caucus for stronger candidates that I support. I discovered, however, that I potentially need to choose these candidates before I even know them if I want to take part in supporting said candidate via caucuses or primaries, as both parties block you out of the process unless you register well in advance of the caucus or primary for a candidate who interests you.


I get more and more convinced of my decision to NOT tout either of these two party labels with every passing day. Did either party realize how dangerous opening the pandora's box of gerrymandering would be? Did they care?

Furthermore, doesn't either party have interest in pulling voters who don't already agree with them via label? Don't Republicans and Democrats practice political segregation and fear of the corrupted caucus or primary to their own demise? How hard could it be to send out a caucus voucher that allows each voter into one caucus per election season? Do we really fear political corruption and outsider inclusion over desiring political involvement which is severely lacking? In this current version of our two-party system, each party is only interested in you if they think you support them already.


With that in mind, I support this effort by the Democrats to fix something that needed fixing long ago. I'll admit though, that this is a lot like that Colin Kaepernick issue and the NFL. I find no sympathy for any losing team that is currently playing a QB worse than Kaep', even my own team. Gerrymandering (and hiring collusion too) has always been like dabbling with black magic; a curse you bring on yourself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment