Wednesday, July 23, 2014

SMDH At Liberals Who Only Vote For Presidents

Some stuff you truly wish you knew how to change if you could and America's voting habits is one of them for me. But when I came across the post to the left, I decided to join in on the cynicism that oozed from the words. 

I added to the post: 

Being liberal means 

enjoying the right to say to 

hell with this voting bullshit 

just as libertarians are republicans who wanted to do the 

same thing.

Next time I'm just typing the letters smdh (shaking my damn head) and I'm leaving it at that.  Until recently, that was one of the many text messaging codes that I had not deciphered yet.  Now I understand the necessity of its brevity.

Unfortunately, saying my statement online got me instantly categorized as one of those people who actually don't vote until there's a black presidential candidate or something like that (gotta remove that profile pic). This is no cry for sympathy I assure you.  I proudly own and earn anything I get while discussing important issues on the web, but this one is really an important issue that I don't exactly know how to talk about anymore. I thought by making such an antagonistic statement, I might inspire a few of those so called "conscientious objectors" to prove me wrong this election season. 

Instead, I got this from Harley Rogers. 

"We Greeks believe that a man who takes no 

part in public affairs is not only lazy, but good 

for nothing"  -Thucydides

My instant response to Harley was a quick, tongue in cheek 

response of: 

"I'm Greek too...at least on election day"

Later my response was more measured:

"My mother taught me that anyone who tells you they don't vote doesn't deserve to comment. I still agree in principle but I now see how not voting, conscientious or not, is a vote of another kind.

That was a blast at the Jehovah's Witness just so you know.

In reality, my mom may not have actually said that at all, but it helped to accentuate my response and my true perspective about voting. In addition, I think anyone who decides not voting is the right manner in which democracy functions is whatever the Greeks would call them, and then some.

However, let us not be fooled by the reality of the message in the turnout numbers. They exist for a reason.  Liberal voters are a finicky lot and republicans have feasted on that for years.  I am personally a "for lack of better option" liberal voter, who wishes the 2 party system could die and go to Hades, but it remains all that we have. Recent attempts I make to embrace my historically conservative values at the polls get thwarted by some new abortion measure or a further blockade of immigration reform.

Nonetheless, smart people realize that Hillary Clinton voted for the Iraq war too, so they wonder if going to the polls is a waste of time in the end. More and more, it is getting increasingly harder to convince anyone that either option matters when you try (as I will) to encourage people to vote.

I concluded by reminding Harley that the original post does say:
"GO AND FUCKING VOTE....you dipshit losers who usually do not and probably will not so it probably does not matter that I am cursing at you right now (for you may not even read it).  It didn't matter that an antagonizing butt wipe such as myself was trying to antagonize new voters anymore than the vulgar antagonizing of the original post.  The only people likely to read or respond are those who already vote. 



No comments:

Post a Comment